As GRAC/Region 24/District 16 administrators, we expect the officials who work the conference to exemplify the highest level of professionalism. The coordinator of officials should understand that GRAC - Region 24 men's teams compete at a highly competitive NJCAA level. Officials must not only meet this high level of professionalism, they should also continue to improve as officials.
The teams included in the GRAC/Region 24/District 16:
- John A. Logan
- Lake Land
- Lincoln Trail
- Lewis & Clark
- Olney Central
- Rend Lake
- Southeastern IL
- Southwestern IL
- Wabash Valley
The position of Men's Basketball Coordinator of officials will be evaluated annually at the Spring meeting of the athletics directors. Additionally, every two years, the position will be opened for proposal and the Executive committee will accept proposals from qualified applicants and make a recommendation to the athletics directors, who will make the final decision.
Expectations for the GRAC/Region 24/District 16 Coordinator of Officials includes:
1. Work with each of the coaches and athletics directors under the direct supervision of the Region Director, Assistant Director and/or Sport Advisor.
2. Collecting schedules from each GRAC/Region 24/District 16 institutions, creating a Master GRAC/Region 24/District 16 schedule.
3. Making game assignments for all conference and non-conference games
4. Oversee officials' development by:
a. Evaluating officials during the season in anticipation of selection for post season regional tournament.
b. Develop and implement a comprehensive evaluation protocol that includes aggregate data from coordinator of officials, site evaluators, peer reviews and coaches evaluations.
c. Establish a standard form to be used for evaluating officials and a system to collect this data to help establish the region list of officials and establish the list of officials for possible post-season tournament selection. Be prepared to show officials' rankings and evaluation totals with GRAC AD's at the Spring GRAC/Region 24/District 16 meetings.
d. Use video of matches/games (when available) to set up video analysis sessions which will enhance officiating mechanics, calling philosophy, judgement, etc.
e. Based on these evaluations, recommend a list of top officials to the regional directors and sport advisors for post season assignment.
f. Tournament officials should have worked GRAC games on a regular basis prior to the tournament.
5. Set procedures for establishing a GRAC/Region 24/District 16 core of officials. (Communicate with local boards, associations, officials, coaches and AD's to establish an appropriate list).
- Acceptance of new officials which would at least include:
- i. Application form and procedure
- ii. Qualifying standards to be met
- iii. Attendance at established college official camps where the coordinator can observe and work with the officials.
- Evaluate officials as to whether an official should be retained or deleted from the GRAC/Region 24/District 16 list.
6. Establish and implement procedures to:
a. Establish a list of acceptable officials camps/training where GRAC/Region 24/District 16 officials would go on a regular basis so they can work to improve their techniques, mechanics, etc.
b. Establish training programs for veteran and new officials during the off-season scrimmages, jamborees, and tournaments.
c. Coordinate and assist teams in the preseason with scrimmage games and jamborees by assigning officials to work these events.
As the Coordinator of Officials, become involved personally in watching and evaluating officials during the season and throughout the region's post-season games/matches. View game films when necessary, giving appropriate responses back to the coach(s), administrator(s), and official(s).
- Make sure appropriate verbal and written comments are given to the officials that will produce change, improvement, etc.
- Keep officials, evaluators, coaches and administrators updated on rules and technique information. Make sure GRAC/Region 24/District 16 concerns are communicated to everyone and handled in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Handle the disciplining of officials if necessary. Discipline will range from warning to termination.
- Work with the Region Director on the post-season tournament selection process of officials. It is recommended that they function as a "non-working" official at the tournament by overseeing the officials, the tournament responsibilities for officials, evaluating their performance, working with Region Director/Sport Advisor on officials assessments throughout the tournament and making sure everything is handled appropriately for officials during the tournament, etc. If they actively work in the post-season tournament, they need to designate another official to be in attendance at the game(s) as the coordinator to handle observation (evaluation), work with crew duties, and be available to handle issues and protests.
- Travel and rotate officials effectively throughout the region.
- Serve as the conference "rule interpreter" (Communicate with the NCAA and NJCAA office if necessary).
- Coordinators of officials will join the Sports Chair/ Region Directors/Assistant Directors and coaches in a preseason conference call to discuss rule changes, and procedures for the upcoming year.
Please send resume', and all other info, to Neil Fiala, GRAC President email@example.com